Monday, September 27, 2010

Gardeing Question of the Week: What are Rose Hips

I'm always delighted when I'm with someone who stumbles on rose hips for the first time. I suppose we don't see them very often because we've become obsessed with deadheading and repeat blooming.

The orange-red berries are a startling discovery. Many people don't realize how closely related roses and apples are until they see what look like crab apple clusters hanging from their rose bushes. I've even seen them mistaken for cherry tomatoes. Thank goodness tomatoes don't have thorns.

Rose hips aren't just lovely to behold, they taste pretty darn good too. And they're surprisingly easy to use in everything from tea to soup to dessert. If you're reading this thinking, What are rose hips?, I'll tell you... And if you find some in your garden, here's a quick recipe to whip up your own rose hip tea. (Grand Marnier optional.)

Photo: ? Marie Iannotti


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment