Thursday, October 7, 2010

Echinacea, Cone Flowers

I would say 'Coneflower' I don't say purple because there are so many new colors out now. It blooms all summer, here in Indiana, attracts butterflies and is a good cut flower. Submitted by Nancy

I live in Illinois (zone 5). I'm an avid perennial gardener thanks to their beauty and ease of care. For a sunny location I have to go with Purple Coneflower. They bloom all summer and attract birds (mostly finches) and butterflies. The birds like the seed heads in winter too. Submitted by Ron

Purple cone flower, long blooming and birds like the seeds. Submitted by Irene

Living in Wisconsin-there's nothing as easy to grow and showy as Coneflower. The blooms and foliage are great in summer. Seedheads provide great winter interest. Leave some in the fall. Finches and other birds will eat from them. They also will spread by reseeding and can be divided for more plants. Submitted by Sharon

Here in Southern Ontario Canada I love coneflowers. This year I put in some double ones and I can't wait to see how they bush out next year. Submitted by Lynda

The first plants that I purchased were two daylilys, a purple daisy, and catmint. They are still alive and hardy in an Edmonton winter. Zone 3 The catmint was almost devoured by my cats before I planted it and the cats love to eat them and roll around on them and they still survive. Submitted by bryan Zones: 2 - 10 Colors: Purple, Pink-Purple, White, Yellow, Orange (and more coming) Height: 2 - 3' Width: 2 - 3' Bloom Period: Mid-Summer - Fall Exposure: Full Sun / Partial Shade Notes: Deer resistant. Self-sows. Seeds are popular with birds.

Full Profile and Growing Suggestions for Echinacea (Coneflower)


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment